Democratic challenger Kenneth Thompson has defeated incumbent District Attorney Charles Hynes 55-44 in the Democratic primary to determine who will be placed on the ballot for the November general election.
Since Hynes had already secured the GOP’s nomination, his name will still be placed on the November ballot, but his spokesman said he will not continue to campaign.
Coverage of the election can be found here:
Vivian Yee, “Challenger Wins Primary for Brooklyn District Attorney,” The New York Times, September 11, 2013
“The primary followed a fierce race that often seemed more a referendum on Mr. Hynes’s lengthy record than a choice between two candidates. Though Mr. Hynes had faced serious and sometimes divided opposition before, this year’s race pitted the 78-year-old district attorney against a single well-financed candidate who rallied anti-Hynes sentiment in the borough. Mr. Thompson, 47, used a torrent of negative publicity about prosecutorial behavior in Mr. Hynes’s office to paint the incumbent as unethical and out of touch…
Mr. Thompson focused his attacks on the questionable behavior of several members of Mr. Hynes’s staff, including his deputy, Michael Vecchione, whose conduct in a murder case drew sharp criticism from two federal judges. Mr. Hynes ultimately agreed to allow the defendant, who had spent 15 years in prison, to have his murder conviction vacated. Mr. Hynes’s prosecutors also have come under scrutiny for relying on the problematic testimony of a detective, Louis Scarcella, to win murder convictions, some of which the office is now reviewing.”
Simone Weichselbaum and Glenn Blain, “Kenneth Thompson defeats 23-year Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes,” New York Daily News, September 11, 2013
“Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes’ 23-year run as the borough’s top prosecutor has come to an end following his stunning defeat in Tuesday’s Democratic primary.
Hynes was the city’s first sitting district attorney to be voted from office since 1955 after he was defeated by former prosecutor Kenneth Thompson 55% to 44%, according to unofficial results.
A Brooklyn District Attorney had not been voted out of office since 1911.
“Tonight we have made history,” Thompson told his supporters. “It has been against tough odds, we are now on a path to a better future for Brooklyn, one that will make our communities both safer and stronger.”’
Julie Shapiro, “Charles Hynes Defeated By Kenneth Thompson In Brooklyn DA Primary Race,” The Huffington Post, September 11, 2013
“…Thompson’s victory dealt a major blow to Hynnes, whose name will still appear on the Nov. 5 ballot as a Republican candidate, after securing that party’s nomination earlier.
Hynes’s spokesman George Arzt said Hynes will not continue his campaign, according to the New York Times.
Hynes, the first Brooklyn D.A. to be voted out of office in more than a century, has faced criticism for allegedly not pursuing sexual assault and pedophilia cases in the Orthodox Jewish community as well as concerns over the conduct of one of his subordinates — weaknesses Thompson exploited in his run against the well-known Brooklyn prosecutor.”